Category Archive: Spring Break

Day 5

Day5

Unfortunately due to a large snowstorm, many team members were unable to report to our central command until later today. As a result, today’s update will not be as lengthy as the past ones this week. Waterproof connectors were ordered, but other than that the majority of work was spent working on the report. We had a deadline that we needed to meet on Monday, so every team member worked diligently on writing their respective sections.

As you can see from the picture, we also went over which tasks we completed. We finished a large amount of them, but others still need to be worked on. We prioritized the tasks and established a plan to complete them over the term.

D-Term is fast approaching us, and we will keep you updated as we enter our final term of the project.

Day 4

Day4

Day 4 out of 5, and everything seems to be coming together. Multiple purchases were made today, including bilge pumps, waterproof connectors, and ballast materials. Also, the motor controller board passed all tests. Therefore, the final assembly for the board can begin. A charger for the lithium polymer batteries was obtained and used to charge them. A few issues with the XML code was resolved. Finally, high-frequency polling of the AHRS was achieved through sending attitude info to the GUI. Bidirectionality was fixed and command response was setup. With a multitude of tasks completed, the team needed to start focusing on the report. Each member was given a different section to write with the deadline of tomorrow.

One day left. This week has been productive so far, and we plan to keep up the momentum for the last day.

Day 3

Day3

Halfway through spring break and the ball is rolling. We received a package motors that we rented, and the ME team began testing them underwater. They also constructed a PVC frame. This chassis will be temporary for testing purposes until we receive 80/20. Additionally, ME continued the design process of the electronics rack and the ballast system. ECE successfully tested the motor control board along with designing a ballast board. In regards to the echo server, we are unable to have the board recognized on a windows computer. They have tried connecting the board with downloaded code via USB to several computers, and none of them recognized the device. They tried using Linux and Mac to find the problem, but these did not work as well. The team has contacted NXP tech support and are awaiting a response. CS has been diligently working on the task structure and has been adding javadocs. They are having a problem with bi-directional communications, but they are switching to working on polling the AHRS through java, and the outlook is looking good.

Only two more days of Spring Break, but we are making progress.

Day 2

Day2a

Day 2 has been less about logistics and more about diving headfirst into the project. Multiple tasks were completed today. Most notably is the manufacturing of the two end caps for the pressure vessel. Both were successfully machined and cured with silicone to waterproof the electronics vessel while still providing access to the contents inside. ME has also worked on designing the electronics rack and the ballast system. Another major breakthrough was that the ECE team was able to download the echo server code to the development board. However, now that the code is on the board, the CPU no longer recognizes the board as a peripheral. This seems to be a driver error, but once the problem is solved the echo server will be complete. Additionally, the functionality of the motor board has been confirmed. CS has been working a mission task structure setup to read from XML and a command handler.

As you can see though, we are most excited about the end cap.

Day2b

Day 1

Day1

It is currently our break week from school, but the team has decided to capitalize on this opportunity. Instead of going home for Spring Break, we have decided to stay on campus and work on completing WAVE. We reserved a conference room and will be working there Monday – Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Usually we update every week, but for this week there will be a new blog post every day.

Welcome to day 1!

Today’s agenda included going over the budget, generating a task list for the week, and executing those tasks. In order to alleviate our budget constraints, we sent our sponsorship packet out to multiple companies. Hopefully some of you reading this were directed to our website via said sponsorship packet!

The task list was divided into four categories: ME, ECE, CS, and Team. In total, we created 113 tasks. While this number may seem intimidating, we are confident that we will be able to accomplish them this week. With no other classes to worry about, we can give our undivided attention to WAVE.

As this post is being written, the team is diligently working on completing several tasks. We will provide you with an update on the completion of these tasks tomorrow.